MusicSmart shows you credits and additional details for albums and songs available in your Apple Music, Spotify, or local music library.
It gathers music knowledge from different sources like Genius, Discogs and MusicBrainz, and aggregates them into an easy to use app. It offers even more than what traditional liner notes used to have, with further details about the artist, popular songs from the album's collaborators, samples, interpolations and remixes used, and movies/TV shows the artists appeared on.
The app also offers a handy Action Extension that can be used from within the Music app, for you to read the details about the currently playing song.
Available details for albums
- Album cover in high-resolution (3000x3000)
- Release date and the list of genres
- Wether it is an Apple Digital Masters or not
- Record label and copyright info
- Editorial notes from the Apple Music team
- Links to reviews of the album on Metacritic, Pitchfork and AllMusic
Available details for tracks
- Notes with the meaning, trivia and interesting facts
- List of credits containing who was responsible for each aspect of the track, such as:
- Video directors and more
- And for each of them, you can see details such as:
- List of popular tracks they worked on
- List of movies and TV shows they appeared
- Social media profiles
- Which songs it uses as a sample
- Which songs have used this song as a sample
- Music videos
- Live performances
- And more
Available details for artists
- Stage and legal name
- Birthdate and age
- Trivia and interesting facts
- The list of movies and TV shows it appeared on
- Links to social media profiles
You can download all images at once by clicking here. But feel free to right-click any images bellow to save an individual, full-resolution screenshot as well:
MusicSmart costs $1.99, and doesn't have any in-app purchases or subscriptions. It is a universal app for iPhone and iPad.
Original Release Date
May 19, 2020.
Latest updates and new features
Version 1.1.6 (released January 8, 2021) adds the ability to quickly see liner notes for the song you are currently listening to. It's perfect to use along with the Music app, using Split View on the iPad! Here's an example.
Feel free to send me an email with any questions you may have.