MusicSmart shows credits and additional details for albums and songs available in your Apple Music, Spotify, or local music library.
It gathers music knowledge from different sources like Genius, Discogs, and MusicBrainz, aggregating them into an easy-to-use app. It offers even more than traditional liner notes used to have, with further details about the artist, popular songs from the album's collaborators, samples, interpolations and remixes used, and movies/TV shows in which they appeared.
The app offers a handy Action Extension on iOS and iPadOS that you can use from the Music app to read the details about the currently playing song. And it integrates with Shazam, so you can easily see the liner notes of songs playing around you.
Available details for albums
- Album cover in high-resolution (3000x3000)
- Release date and the list of genres
- Whether it is an Apple Digital Masters or not
- Record label and copyright info
- Editorial notes from the Apple Music team
- Links to reviews of the album on Metacritic, Pitchfork, and AllMusic
Available details for tracks
- Notes with the meaning, trivia, and interesting facts
- List of credits containing who was responsible for each aspect of the song, such as:
- Video directors and more
- And for each of them, you can see details such as:
- List of popular songs they worked on
- List of movies and TV shows they appeared
- Social media profiles
- Name and AKAs
- Which songs does it use as a sample
- Which songs have used this song as a sample
- Music videos
- Live performances
- And more
Available details for artists
- Name and AKAs
- Profile picture
- The list of popular songs
- The list of movies and TV shows it appeared on
- Links to social media profiles
You can download all images at once by clicking here. But feel free to right-click any images bellow to save an individual, full-resolution screenshot as well:
MusicSmart costs $2.99 and doesn't have any in-app purchases or subscriptions. It is a universal app for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.
Original Release Date
May 19, 2020.
Latest updates and new features
Version 1.3.3 (released July 07, 2022) brings an improved layout on the iPad, new widgets to quickly get liner notes from the home screen, a new section for recently viewed albums and tracks, and more.
Version 1.2.9 (released February 01, 2022) adds the ability to search liner notes for songs that are not in the user's music library.
Feel free to send me an email with any questions you may have.